In comic book news, if you follow the blog Comic Booked, on Sunday they had a selection process for a comic book March Madness-style playoff, and their bracket matchups were posted on Monday. Unfortunately, unlike basketball, where the teams that advance to the next round go on because of skill, this game is going to be run like Suvudu's game, with the winners in each matchup determined by popular vote.
So, as we all know, Superman beats everything, and should just be skipped ahead to the final round, but maybe Batman makes it out of the Sweet Sixteen because everyone frakkin' loves Batman and will probably vote the crap out of him. It's like Laura observed: "It's the whole rebel alliance versus one Green Lantern? Obviously they win!" Yes, obviously they would, until the surge of Green Lantern fans that vote him (or her, it just says "The Green Lantern,") in to the next stage turn up.
Here are Round 1 results and the pairups for Round 2. You have until March 17th at 5pm to vote. Be sure to check Suvudu for a breakdown of the matches and predicted outcomes for Round 2.
1. Martin the Warrior (Brian Jacques' Redwall series) vs. Katniss Everdeen (Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy)
Are you shitting me? Martin is a mouse. I hope Katniss wins by simply rolling out of bed to eat him for breakfast.
My Pick: Katniss.
2. Paul Atreiddes (Frank Herbert's Dune) vs. Perrin Aybara (Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time)
Paul and his demi-godness beat Allanon and Perrin ripped that stupid elf a new one. This whole demi-god thing is kind of unfair. Popularity votes will give it to Perrin, but,
My Pick: Paul.
NEW CROBUZON DIVISION
1. Lestat (Anne Rice's Vampire books) vs. Severus Snape (Harry Potter)
Damn, Lestat didn't win by nearly the margin I thought he would. But he's a badass and Percy didn't stand a chance. Damnit. Damnit... This one is hard. I think Severus is too smart for Lestat, but just barely.
My Pick: Severus, but I think it will be really close.
2. Quick Ben (Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series) vs. Pug (Raymond E. Feist's Riftworld saga)
I don't know either of these characters. Anyone?
My Pick: The one on the left?
MINAS TIRITH DIVISION
1. Eric Northman (True Blood) vs. Vin (Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series)
Eric Northman ate Jacob Black's face and Vin defeated Logen Ninefingers. I think the vampire is too arrogant to take Vin seriously and that's his mistake.
My Pick: Vin
2. Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander (Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series) vs. Severian (Gene Wolfe's Book of the new Sun series)
Zed took out Mandorallen and Severian unfortunately ended John Carter's involvement. This will be easy for Zed. Severian has nothing on the Mord Sith and their agiels.
My Pick: Zed
1. Molly Millions (William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy) vs. Alvin Maker (Orson Scott Card's Tales of Alvin Maker series)
Molly Millions destroyed Gollum and Alvin took out Thomas Covenant. Alvin makes shit out of nothing, but Molly is a cyborg. This one is up in the air.
My Pick: Undecided.
2. Jon Snow (George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire) vs. Beowulf (Old as hell figure from literature and history)
Jon Snow and his direwolf and legion of fans eliminated Takeshi Kovacs and Beowulf punched Arlen to death. I like The Song of Ice and Fire a lot. I like Jon Snow a lot. But if he defeats Beowulf, I'll be pissed. I don't care about the dire wolf.
My Pick: It's mother effing Beowolf.